Sunday, July 4, 2010

Displaying Vacation Shells

My son collected a ton of shells and a large piece of coral for me during our Florida vacation.  I did several posts on our trip if you want to look at the archives.  I highly recommend Florida as a vacation spot.  I don’t have any beachy decor in my house, but I wanted to display the shells anyway.  Here is what I came up with.

IMG_1404

IMG_1407

I tied jute rope around the lamp shade to give it some contrast.  I might want to change it up again so tying it meant I could easily remove it.

IMG_1390

IMG_1391

I put a tag on the lamp to label our vacation shells and because I like tags.

IMG_1389

On some of these shells I did vacation themed rub-ons. 

IMG_1400

IMG_1416

IMG_1398

IMG_1394

IMG_1395

IMG_1397

I made another shadow box like the one I did with my rocks from the Hamptons.  You can see it here.  I picked one that looked like weathered wood from Hobby Lobby.

IMG_1402 

IMG_1401

Can you see the shark’s tooth we found?  We found several on a beach in Venice. 

IMG_1413

These were 2 of my favorite shells.  The spiny one and the curly one.

IMG_1415

IMG_1385

I also painted my frame holder to look rusty.  It was black.  I thought it looked much better rusty. 

IMG_1308

I used a stencil brush so that it would be more stippled when painted on and not brush marks with a color that looked like rust called Autumn Brown. 
After it dried I added some burnt umber in different places to make it look a little darker.  Any dark brown would work if you don't have the burnt umber color.  When you do the stencil brush you use it dry and tap it on a paper plate first to get the extra paint off.  Your project will dry very very fast so it is handy if you are impatient like me.
paint

IMG_1405

signature2

Linking to

Sunday Showcase @ Under the Table and Dreaming

Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping it Simple

Just Something I Whipped Up @ The Girl Creative

Metamorphosis Monday @ Between Naps On The Porch

Anything Related @ All Thingz Related

Whatever Goes Wednesday @ Someday Crafts

We’re Organized Wednesday @ Organize and Decorate Everything

Transformation Thursday @ The Shabby Chic

Strut Your Stuff @ Somewhat Simple

Feature Yourself Friday @ Fingerprints on the Fridge

Show and Tell @ My Romantic Home

Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors

Weekend Wrap Up Party @ Tater Tots and Jello

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails